Thursday, March 20, 2014

Author Spotlight - M J. Kane

One of my favorite things to do on this blog is help my fellow authors spread the word about their books. Today I have the pleasure of announcing a new release by my personal friend and colleague, M.J. Kane.



I met M.J. at a library function here in Atlanta several years ago, and we just hit it off. Since then we have attended writer seminars, workshops and events together, and she is now the leader of the writer's group I attend each month, the Wordsmiths of Clayton County.


About the Author:

M.J. Kane stumbled into writing. An avid reader, this stay at home mom never lost the overactive imagination of an only child. As an adult she made up stories, though never shared them, to keep herself entertained. It wasn’t until surviving a traumatic medical incident in 2006 that she found a reason to let the characters inhabiting her imagination free.  Upon the suggestion of her husband, she commandeered his laptop and allowed the characters to take life. It was that, or look over her shoulder for men caring a purple strait jacket. And the rest, as they say, is history.

You can find out what's going on with M.J. at any of these spots online:



About the Book:

Instead of planning her wedding, Kaitlyn Rodgers is facing motherhood alone, the pressures of a new job, and caring for her rebellious younger sister. What should have been the happiest time of her life turns into one stressful event after another.

After watching his father struggle to raise a family by himself, auto mechanic Antonio Rodriguez refuses to follow his father’s footstepseven if it means a lifetime of loneliness.

When Kaitlyn’s car breaks down, though, Antonio goes beyond auto repairs to take care of her needs. An unexpected friendship begins, allowing them a glimpse of happinessuntil the father of Kaitlyn’s child returns, ready to offer her marriage and a future. But at what cost?



Taking Care of Family…

Family can be the best thing that ever happened to us, or the biggest headache.  Regardless, family is something we can never run away from, no matter how hard we try.
For Kaitlyn Rodgers, having the perfect family is a dream. As the oldest of four kids, she watched her mother suffer from depression and dealt with a father who was dissatisfied with having daughters. She, and her youngest sister, Tiffany, were never ‘daddy’s little girls.’ Instead, he pushed her to work like a boy on the family farm. The work toughed her up, but the lack of love on his end and support from her mother made getting away from home her motivation to succeed. Along the way, she developed a love of acting and fashion. Kaitlyn earned a scholarship to UCLA, and fulfilled her dream to work in Hollywood. Becoming an actress was never her goal, though. Instead, she became a costume designer for a major television show.

Despite finding success in her profession, Kaitlyn is estranged from her parents. She keeps in touch with her siblings and adopts her best friends, Ebony and Yasmine, as her away-from-home-family. But, when she gets a call in the middle of the night from a distraught Tiffany who needs a place to stay, allowing her to move in gives them a second chance at growing their relationship. With any luck, she hopes to bridge the ten year age gap, and help her younger sister avoid making the same mistakes she did.

Excerpt:

    “Sit.” I nodded at the sofa.
Her hands went up. “Okay, fine, don’t share. Just remember, I’m not a kid anymore. I lost my virginity ages ago. We can talk about sex.” My baby sister flopped down.
Not a virgin…point taken.
I held my belly, eased down beside her, and focused on ignoring the headache behind my left eye. “First of all, my love life is none of your business. Second, don’t ever embarrass me again.”
“I embarrassed you?” She sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes. “Fine, whatever.”
“No, there is no ‘whatever’. You’re not here for a good time visit, Tiffy. You got kicked out. Why did you make him do that?”
She crossed her arms in the typical fashion of every angry teenager who felt life was unfair, even though they were the ones who screwed up. “It wasn’t my fault, you know how daddy is; I was born.”
I sighed. “And?”
“And…I was seein’ someone he didn’t like. I’m shocked he even paid attention.” Her eyes lowered.
So was I. Our father treated us as if we were children forced on him instead of his own flesh and blood. Our brothers, on the other hand, were his pride and joy.
“What’s this about momma’s car?”
Tiffany rolled her eyes again. “Momma let me borrow her car to go to Stephanie’s house. I ended up at Steve’s….on purpose.”
“What’s this about Steve bein’ twenty-eight?”
She shrugged. “I need a man who’s established to take care of me until I get on my feet. There are no guys my age like that. Well, there are, but they are full of crap. Older men know what they want. ” She huffed in exasperation when I cocked an eyebrow. “Look, he was wrapped around my little finger, okay. I went over to solidify the deal─”
“Sleep with him,” I amended.
“Yeah, whatever. The point is, everything was goin’ good until daddy showed up and threatened him with his shotgun.Needless to say, Steve ended it right there. Daddy and I fought about it,then he put me out.”
I stared in disbelief. “Daddy came with a shotgun?We’re talkin’ about the same Bailey Rodgers, Senior I grew up with, right?”
“Yep.” She kicked off her sandals, sat cross-legged on the couch. “Daddy was more interested in what was goin’ on with momma’s car. Since when did he give a rat’s ass what I did?”
My temples pounded, forcing me to squint. I applied pressure until the pain subsided.
“Are you alright?” Tiffany laid a hand on my arm.
“I’ll be fine. My blood pressure has been up for the last month. My doctor is dang near ready to put me on bed rest. I don’t have time for foolishness. I have no problem with you bein’ here, Tiffy, but there are gonna be some rules.”
Her eyes widened. “You’ve got to be shittin’ me.”
“Rule number one, no cursin’.”
“Ohcome on!”
“My baby is not gonna be raised around foul language. This is not Bailey Senior’s House, so leave the bad habit behind.”
“Like you don’t curse!”
I stared at her, unaffected by her accusation. “When I do it’s because I’m pissed. Besides, this is my house, my rules. If you don’t like it…” My silence filled in the blanks.
Another eye roll followed. If she didn’t watch it, they would end up on the floor instead of her head. “Okay, fine. What else?”
“Two, start lookin’ for a job. There are no free rides here.”
“No problem. I don’t like bein’ broke.”
“It’s not about bein’ broke, Tiffy. It’s about believin’ a man is gonna take care of you. Look at me,” I waved a hand around my apartment. “I had a man who swore he loved me, wanted to marry and take care of me. Bein’ pregnant changed everythin’. If I hadn’t been able to care for myself before this happened, I’d be screwed.”
Tiffany’s gaze went to my belly. “Can I touch it?”
I smiled. “Sure.”
Her eyes widened as my baby kicked. “That’s amazin’!”
I placed my hand over hers, moved it to the other side. “I think your niece or nephew is sayin’ hello. Feel that?” She nodded. “That’s an elbow or somethin’.”
After a few minutes, she pulled away. It was then I realized her eyes were watery. “Why did he leave you, Kaity?”
I studied my sister. How crazy was it to have siblings, but feel as if I were an only child? Since moving to L.A., I’d been adopted into Yasmine’s family just as Ebony had. My issues with my parents had nothing to do with my relationship with Tiffany, Bailey Jr., or Justin. While Yasmine and Ebony were my ‘sisters from another mother’, as Yasmine liked to say, Tiffany was flesh and blood.
We had a lot of time to make up for. It would be my goal to get to know her again. And let her know me.
The good and the bad.

####

M.J. is giving away an ebook copy of Lonely Heart! Enter the Rafflecopter contest for your chance to win! Contest ends April 1st!
#####

Look for the The Butterfly Memoirs Series and the latest release, Lonely Heart!










5 comments:

M.J. Kane said...

Thanks for having me, Chicki! <3

Sharon Cunningham Cooper said...

Congrats on your new release, MJ! All the best to you...and lots of sales!

M.J. Kane said...

Hi, Sharon, and thanks a lot! ((hugs))

Stella Eromonsere-Ajanaku said...

Congratulations M.J on your new release. I wish you huge success.

Val Louis said...

Very nice!