Sunday, March 30, 2014

Status Update #2 - surgery journal

I had my knee replacement surgery on Thursday, the 27th. It went fabulously, and with my friends, church family and online friends praying, I had NO pain even after the drugs from the surgery wore off!

Here's a visual documentary of my past few days...

THURSDAY:


Okay, this is NOT me, but it's what I looked like after surgery (minus the handcuffs, LOL!)

FRIDAY:


By Friday afternoon, still no pain and no pain meds! I walked down to the Nurses' Station with the physical therapist. She called me a rock star and said most of her knee replacement patients only make it to the door of their room on the first day after surgery. Go me! 

SATURDAY:


I walked all the way to the hospital PT gym with the therapist and practiced going up and down the stairs a couple of times.

SATURDAY EVENING:



They released me to go home! Getting dressed was interesting...


 
This what the knee looked like yesterday before they unwrapped it.  

This is what it looks like today, only the whole thing is black and blue and all it has is a long vertical bandage!   

I'm resting, doing my leg exercises, reading and basically just chillin'. Tomorrow the physical therapist comes to the house to continue my PT.

Maybe I can get back to writing tomorrow, since TILL YOU COME BACK TO ME has to be to the editor in three weeks...




Once again, thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. They mean everything to me!

3 comments:

Chris Plumb said...

Wow...was it an ACL? My wife had arthroscopic surgery last year, and they didn't find anything. She just has constant nerve pain. It's really affected our lives. But we keep praying. Will keep you in my prayers as well.

Get well soon.

Chicki Brown said...

It was a total knee replacement in my right knee, Chris. Your prayers are greatly appreciated! :D

Chris Plumb said...

Well in that case, yes, the physical therapy is important. My mother-in-law had both her knees done at different times. One time she took the time to properly recoup, the other she rushed it (to play softball). 8 years later she had to have the second knee redone.

So in other words, relax and let God. (I'm mostly kidding, you know what you can do and what not to do...).